Thursday, April 11, 2013

Weight Lifting is for GIRLS!

You know what REALLY grinds my gears? People who have this narrow minded idea that if women weight lift they'll get too muscly. Let me tell you where you're wrong. :)

1. Men and women are composed differently on the chemical level. Testosterone vs. Estrogen. Yes, women have some testosterone in their bodies. Some more than others but not enough to make you look like this...
 
... the first time you pick up weights. Sure, I don't know everything about how to get ^there^ but I sure as huckleberry finn know that what I'm doing now won't get me there.
 
 
2. You have a goal. REACH IT. What I'm trying to say here is, don't worry about anyone else's opinion. They don't know where you've been, what you've done, or what you plan to do. People do not judge at the gym. Yes, there are some girls who go there just to look pretty and sweat a minimal amount, but how does that effect where you're going/doing?
 
When we were at the beach the other day, I pointed out to my hubby how little of fat I have left on my inner thighs, and how proud I was to have muscle there instead. And you know what he said, "You should leave it there. I don't want you to get too muscly." So instead of beating him over the head with Mickey's toy shovel, I simply stated that I was going to do what I pleased with MY body and if he doesn't like it then he'll just have to deal with it.
 
3. Strong men and women are sexy! Both sexes have this orthodoxed view on how the opposite should be. This is something I don't believe in. It's the 21st century people. There are more women in college, the workforce, politics, and THE GYM! Women were supposed to be the weaker sex. The ones who needed help in everything they did and didn't lift a finger when it came to dirt and heavy lifting. Nowadays though, this chick is sweating like a pig doing yard work, chopping firewood, and handling all the other chores, with a baby on the hip! Who's the weaker sex? Neither! Strong women are sexy. Strong men are sexy. Desirable. And idolized.
 
 
Who do you think is "sexy"?

 
 
Strong is the new Skinny!  - This is an awesome workout shirt from Ruffles With Love on etsy. :)
 
 
Being a girl doesn't mean you have to lift lighter weights. Be strong and confident in all you do. (Unless it's drugs. That stuffs bad.) Don't worry about what you look like in workout clothes or wonder if someone is staring at you while you pound out your troubles on the treadmill. YOU are there for a reason. You are there to find yourself. Find happiness. And peace. Running is my therapy. Weightlifting is my confidence booster. And everything else that I love in my life, that brings me happiness, is just a product of the work I put into it.
 
I'm a fighter and a lover. A pain in the ass and a "wonderful wife". A disaster and OCD. But I'm me. Not who I'm "supposed" to be. But who I want to be.
 
 
Stay Strong,
 
Maggie 
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. I love reading your thoughts!! I love who you are becoming! I just love you!

    ReplyDelete