Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Healthy Snacks for the College Crowd

When it's midnight on a Monday, my eyes burn from staring at the computer, my head hurts from crunching numbers, and my ass hurts from sitting so long, all I want to do is guzzle some coffee and grab a bag of chips.

But I don't.

Why?!

When I eat like crap, I feel like crap!

It's clinically proven. :)

That night instead I grabbed an apple and a HUGE glass of water. Proud of myself, I sat my sore ass back down and sunk my teeth in. (into what? homework or the apple?)

 
Proof! That little monkey was in one of the drawers of my desk. Thank you Mickey :)

BOTH!

When you choose healthier snacks with natural sugars and lower doses of caffeine you get a more sustainable energy. Yes, I know that after two cups of joe you can easily stay awake for hours, but afterwards you CRASH HARD! And the next morning, you are even more tired than you ever could have imagined.

When I was finished with my homework for the night, of course, I was exhausted, but I was able to sleep AS SOON AS I put my head on my fluffy pillow. Which for me is important!

I'm sure it's not easy waking up going to your classes, doing your homework, attending work, then more homework and attempting to keep up on your social life while the precious hours of night and sleep drift by...

Surprisingly I can relate.

I'm a momma. I don't take breaks from my job. I cook, clean, workout, have playtime, kiss booboos, wipe butts, squash bugs, (etc.) On top of being a momma, I'm a wife. That means I take care of my husband too. I make his lunch, do his laundry, make his plate, and find whatever time I can to make sure he feels loved and appreciated. And then comes me, I'm a workoutaholic. For about two hours a day on average, I devote my time to my body and my mind. And lastly, I'm a student. I usually don't get to my homework until 9 or 10 when my little one is tucked tightly into bed with her paci, blankey, Violet (stuffed dog that sings), and sippy cup.

Which means I get to sleep around 1 or 2 on rough nights. (PLUS I'm not accounting for Mickey's occasional bad dreams that wake her up at 3 or 4.)

Can you relate?

In short I NEED all the energy I can get. To take 24 hours and turn it into 30 is impossible, but with the 24 I do have I want to ALWAYS be bringing my A-game.

It's important to FUEL your body, not push it too hard, and reap the rewards.

And it all starts with what you eat. So next time, when it's midnight on a Monday and all you want is some coffee and a bag of chips...

Grab an apple. Grapes. Mango!

Do some push-ups. Jumping Jacks. Sit ups.

Chug some water.

Get your blood flowing in the right direction.

And get to work!


Alternative Healthy Snacks :
  • Low salt Pita Chips with hummus, guacamole, or pico de galo.
  • Fruit Protein Smoothie with a slow digestive protein like Creatine (read that somewhere)
  • Greek yogurt with fresh fruit
  • Frozen yogurt with fresh fruit
  • Trail mix with low or no salt and dried fruits
 
Cutest girl in the ENTIRE world :)


Happy Tuesday! Wish me luck on my finals this week! :)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment