Mama Murphy's Noodle Free Lasagna
I must say I don't give myself 100% credit for this since I did see a picture of a lasagna made with thinly sliced zucchini on Pinterest. I didn't however look at the recipe so I cannot give complete credit to that person either. :)
This recipe is a PERFECT way to sneak veggies into your kid's (or husband's) diet! This recipe is 75% veggies, 12.5% meat, and 12.5% cheese. I chose the healthier versions of both the meat and cheese and it was DELISH! My husband had seconds and the monkey at it ALL! Definitely going to be looking for more recipes with veggie substitutions. :)
Ingredients/ Shopping List
3 Zucchinis - (Could use Spaghetti Squash! Trying that next time)
One small container of Part Skim Ricotta Cheese
Reduced Fat Parmesan Cheese
One Onion (white or sweet yellow)
Baby Portebella Mushrooms
One Large Can of Organic Crushed Tomatoes
Any additional seasonings you think you'll need!
A large skillet
Basic Kitchen Utensils
Stove & Oven
1. Preheat Oven to 375.
2. Cut Turkey Sausage out of casings and cook on medium heat. Season if desired. While this is cooking wash and shred your zucchinis. Be CAREFUL! Cheese graters are sharp!
***TIP: Put the end of the grater in a large bowl so that while you shred you can deal with less of a mess ***
3. Continue monitoring the turkey sausage. Dice the mushrooms and onion. Use as much as you like!
4. Mix the entire container of Ricotta Cheese and a cup of Parmesan Cheese together. After it's thoroughly mixed add Italian seasoning :)
5. Allow the Turkey Sausage to cool in a bowl. Pour a tablespoon of olive oil in the pan and toss in the onions, mushrooms, and a large dollop of garlic. Saute until onions sweat.
6. Prepare the 9x13. Add a layer of shredded zucchini thick enough that you can't see the bottom of the pan. (I used a glass pan, I'm not sure if a metal one would need any additional prepping)
7. Next pour a third of the can of crushed tomatoes on top. Spread gently to cover zucchini and sprinkle with seasonings.
8. Add the cheese layer next. Don't use all of it since you'll be adding more layers. This is tough since it's hard to spread, just blot if you need to :)
9. Crumble half the meat onto the cheese layer, top the crumbled meat with half of the sauteed mushrooms, onions, and garlic.
10. Repeat steps 6-9. Save enough zucchini and tomatoes to LIGHTLY coat the top. To finish off I sprinkled Parmesan cheese (you could use mozzarella) and feta, also dusted it with more Italian seasoning. :)
Bake at 375 for 50 minutes covered, and ten uncovered to make the top crispy :)
Please do not use this recipe as your own! :) If you make any variations let me know!
*** It was a little runny the first time around, but like most lasagna it was even more delicious the next day! ***