Friday, May 3, 2013

Body Composition

Yesterday I obviously didn't post, because I was too busy LIVING :) Surprise dinner from the hubby and a late night at the gym.

I went to the gym last night about 45 mins before my BodyPump class started so that I could get my BMI (body mass index) and body fat percentage checked.

Mind you I went into this doing ABSOLUTELY NO research. Zero.

But I wanted to know what those darn numbers were after ~4 months and 40+ pounds!

I was more concerned with my body fat percentage then my BMI. I do not think that BMI is a good way to measure your health just because it focuses on only age, height, and weight, not on your body's composition.

Here were my stats:

Height - 5'5"

Weight - 164lbs

BMI - 27.4

Body Fat % - 27%

I was hoping for ANYTHING under 40%. Again I did this with zero research. When the instructor measured it he whispered it back to me, like it was something that no one else should hear. I may have thrown him off by smiling. :) Setting achievable goals is a definite confidence booster!

Then I worked out, tried to talk to the personal trainer director there, but I wasn't really getting anywhere with that other then maybe forking over a couple hundred to have him "help".

I am a firm believer in self-motivation. If you can motivate yourself then IT WILL LAST. But if you HAVE to have someone over your shoulder telling you to go harder or eat better then I don't think it will. (I know from experience. Volleyball.)

So, disappointed in the fact that I would have to figure it out myself, I headed home with a Monkey in tow. And did my research.

I found tons of charts online, they all varied in small ways, but this is a general idea:


That puts me in the Healthy Range. But this chart wasn't as thorough as I wanted so I found this one:

 
Now this is what I wanted to see! I was in the Average section. Good, but can be better. So my one of my new goals is to get down to 20%. I'm not sure how hard it will be, but I'll keep doing my research and my trial and errors and let everyone know! :)
 
 
This is another pic I found on the BuiltLean Digest website.
 
 
Another side note. Women need more fat than men. To simply function, we NEED it. For our monthly visits from Aunt Rosie and other womanly things, like boobs... :)
 
If you're setting a goal with your body fat %, keep that in mind. You and I will never be 4% bodyfat. Not unless we're 6 feet under.
 
Now to round out my post... A picture of me. HA!
 
 
The Left is in Illinois, before a night out (210+lbs). The right is from last weekend (165lbs). My husband smiles, but I like to think he only saves it for me, so get over it, you probably won't see it! ;)
 
I'll be back on Monday with a new workout! Not sure what I'm going to name it... Turning a butt into an ass... Mom butt to MILF butt... Butt to Badonkadonk...
 
I don't know, but now you know what body part we're focusing on!
 
Have a great weekend!
 
Michaela's Scratching Post
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment